CBI submits report on missing JNU student, seeks in-camera proceedings

CBI submits report on missing JNU student, seeks in-camera proceedings

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has rejected the Delhi Police's theory that the missing Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) student, Najeeb Ahmed, took an auto to the Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) hours before he went missing, the counsel for his mother Fatima Nafees has said.

Najeeb, 27, a student of MSc Biotechnology, had gone missing from the Mahi-Mandvi hostel of JNU on October 15, last year, following a scuffle with some other students, allegedly affiliated to student body Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP).

The CBI Tuesday handed the Delhi High Court, in a sealed cover, its status report in the disappearance of JNU student Najeeb Ahmad.

"The court has heard the submissions of the parties". However, CBI's counsel stressed that CBI is under pressure and the nature of the case is sensitive.

He also informed the court that the mobile phones of nine people had been seized and sent to the Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL), which was yet to provide its report. It reflects further steps taken in the matter. The court had, on May 16 this year, directed the CBI to take over the investigation from Delhi Police.

He added that considering the sensitive nature of the case, it would be hard for them if the media reported about it.

When the CBI's counsel urged the court to conduct in-chamber proceedings in the matter, the bench said it would consider it on the next date of hearing on December 21.

The senior advocate, appearing for Najeeb's mother, questioned why did the CBI not arrest the students to extract information, claiming that it was a political abduction.

"We can not put unnecessary pressure on the probe agency".

The CBI had earlier faced flak from the high court for its "complete lack of interest" and not showing any result in its probe into the disappearance of Najeeb, five months after being handed over the investigation.

The Delhi High Court had transferred the case to CBI in May 2017, when the Police and SIT - which was constituted by the order of Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh - could not do make much progress in the case.