Sweden Truck Attack Suspect Admits To Terrorism

Sweden Truck Attack Suspect Admits To Terrorism

The suspect in the Stockholm truck attack, 39-year-old Uzbek and terrorist sympathiser Rakhmat Akilov, has admitted to committing a "terrorist crime" by mowing down pedestrians on a busy Stockholm street, killing four people and injuring 15 others. Two Swedes, a British man and a Belgian woman were killed in the attack. Fifteen were injured. Eight people remain in hospital, including two in intensive care.

Sweden observed a minute of silence Monday on a national day of mourning for the victims, with Swedish royalty, foreign diplomats and politicians among the crowds gathering for a noon observance outside Stockholm City Hall, where Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said "the whole of Sweden" sympathized with the families and friends of the victims.

Akilov, who was asked by the judge to remove the sweater from his head, made no comment at the start of the hearing. The judge then ordered the hearing to proceed behind closed doors.

Court documents identified Akilov as a citizen of Uzbekistan.

"He has not just confessed".

Eriksson said it was important "to uphold democratic principles and that he gets the same defense as anyone else".

President Trump called Löfven on Sunday "to express condolences to the loved ones of those who were killed in Friday's terrorist attack in central Stockholm, and to wish a speedy recovery to those who were wounded", the White House said. The judge on Tuesday remanded Akilov in custody for a month.

Police have earlier said the investigation could "take up to a year to finish".

Akilov, a construction worker who was refused permanent residency in Sweden in June 2016, went underground past year after receiving a deportation order, police said. Security services have said that he had figured in intelligence reports but they had not viewed him as a militant threat. The Stockholm court earlier turned down Akilov's request for a new defence attorney - a Sunni lawyer - to replace Eriksson. "We will get through this together", he said. However, he will not be set free since he had previously received a deportation order.

"This detention order simply reinforces what we already know", Eliasson said.